Now that the Tiger Woods affair is officially out of the bag and I've gotten over my initial shock disgust, it does shed light on some important issues of infidelity and monogamy that beg exploring further. Why did he do it, especially with such a perfect life and wife? The fact that he could cheat on a beautiful former model makes no woman safe, and raises questions from women like, "Well if he could cheat on HER, then men will cheat on anyone!" Well after taking a stab on the situation, I've broken down my analysis of the reasons why Tiger, and most men, cheat on their beautiful women, in hopes that you'll take the learning lessons from them and contemplate yourself.
1. Self-Sabotage. It's been seen time and time again with celebrities, from Britney Spears to Mel Gibson to Michael Jackson, and recognized even more clearly by relationship experts like myself - the pattern of sabotaging one area of your life when everything else is going successfully, even at it's peak. Cheating is one of those things that is largely the manifestation of this self-sabotage, on the more successful the person is, and the more they have to lose, unfortunately, the more often we tend to see these types of behaviors show up.
2. Power & Success. The man's level of success and power is the first major factor that's at play here. The more powerful and successful the man is, the more attractive he is to women and the greater the abundance of women and options he has right at his fingertips. Add to that this continuous inflow of women and affection feeds their power and ego even further, so they literally become addicted to the attention and being completely faithful to just one woman simply deprives them of that.
3. Opportunity. Opportunity is everywhere for these men in power, beautiful women and sex is being constantly thrown in their face. They may even rationalize it by thinking, "If I say yes to only 1 out of every 500 women that pushes themselves on me...That's pretty good!"
4. Boredom at home: The fact that these men have such an abundance of women and opportunities all the time, these women that they're married to need to realize this and make sure they step up their level of excitement and variety at home. They need to be extra cautious not to fall into the trap of letting themselves get too comfortable and gaining weight, slipping into predictable routines, and neglecting the romance. Exhibit A: Jennifer Anniston vs. Angelina Jolie.
5. Challenge: Men often cheat to gain some of the excitement and challenge back that they lost since entering into a monogamous relationship. People often make the mistake of wrapping their whole worlds around their partner, expressing their love and commitment to them freely and as a result, diminishing any sense of challenge left for their partner. Even though a woman may be a celebrity and a beautiful one at that, she is still subject to this same crime and therefore prone to creating the same outcome with her man. If she loses herself in him and gives him no challenge at all, no matter how beautiful she is, he will still eventually wonder if he settled and be turned on by a woman who gives him more of a chase.
These are some of the most common reasons why men cheat, and why I personally feel like Tiger cheated, even with having such a wonderful life and beautiful wife by his side. Read em, learn from 'em...and Post your Comments and Thoughts!